Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Trombone Shorty - RICBA Readaloud

We're gearing up for Election Day in a couple of weeks, but did you know that students get the chance to vote in February? The Rhode Island Children’s Book Award (RICBA) goes to the book selected by students in grades 3-6 as their favorite from a list of 20 nominees.

Students who read 3 or more nominated books may vote in February. They will receive extra credit for each RICBA ratings sheet they submit (either in person or online); it asks them to record what the book was about and how they felt about it. To give everyone a head start, I'll be reading two nominees to each class. 

I started with Trombone Shorty, written by Troy Andrews and illustrated by Bryan Collier. Here's the book trailer:


Most kids enjoyed the story; here are some reasons they gave:

  • I was impressed how he was able to play a trombone when he was that small!
  • I liked it because I like music because MY big brother inspired me.
  • I liked it because it involves a trombone, which is like a trumpet, which I play.
  • This book motivated me to take more pride in my music, and it had very good illustrations.
  • I love to hear people's stories and how inspiring they are / can be.
  • I liked how Trombone Shorty made his own band when he was young.
  • It was an autobiography, nonfiction, which I love.
  • I liked it because it had jazz in it and also it's a bit funky.
  • You don't need an instrument to make music.
  • I liked the story because it reminds me to never underestimate the power of tiny.
  • It is nice when people motivate people.
  • They were always giving him like an extra boost, helping him follow his dreams, and he became really good!
  • For a small autobiography, it gives us enough detail to visualize the boy ... now that's a good story!
  • I liked it because of how when he was like 4 years old, he knew how to play.

During checkout, I played part of a video from Trombone Shorty's web site.




No comments:

Post a Comment