Saturday, October 29, 2016

Pedro! Pedro! Pedro!

We read the RICBA nominee Growing Up Pedro by Matt Tavares this week to coincide with the World Series. One illustration shows him taped to a pole by his teammates. The kids asked if it really happened. Here's the tape to prove it.



Most kids enjoyed the story; here are some reasons they gave:


  • He keeps trying.
  • It was the most inspiring story I have ever heard.
  • It is about saying that dreams can come true.
  • It was an encouraging story about never to give up.
  • I think it is pretty cool that Pedro and his big brother got to play on the same team.
  • I like to know about people before they were famous.
  • A poor boy managed to make his way into the Hall of Fame.
  • I liked it because I like watching the World Series.
  • I like to hear nonfiction stories about people.
  • I love the Red Sox!
  • Pedro followed his dreams and became famous!
  • I'm a big fan of baseball and I know what it feels like to be transferred to more than one team.
  • I liked it because I like learning.
  • It showed anyone can do what they believe.
  • I like stories of players in history.
  • For a biography, it was very entertaining.
  • It inspired me to follow my dreams.
  • Just because you are small doesn't not mean you can't do a thing.
  • He could throw a baseball 97 miles per hour.
  • He followed his dreams and they came true.
  • Pedro loved throwing rocks at mango trees, and I love mangoes.
  • I wish Pedro still played for the Red Sox.

The book ended with the 1999 American League championships, but Pedro's playing career continued for 10 more years. He was still on the Red Sox when they finally reversed the curse in 2004 and won their first World Series in 86 years. He then played for the New York Mets and the Philadelphia Phillies before retiring in 2009.

Pedro was inducted into the Hall of Fame last year, and the Red Sox retired his number.

No comments:

Post a Comment