Sunday, November 8, 2020

Mock Caldecott Results

The American Library Association awards the Caldecott Medal to the artist of "the most distinguished American picture book for children." In the spring, first- and second-graders listened to about a dozen picture books that were published in 2019. Our voting process was interrupted by COVID, but we finally had a chance to select a winner from the list of four finalists this fall.

The winner: Who Wet My Pants?, illustrated by Zachariah O'Hora (our Mock Caldecott winner last year for Niblet and Ralph!) and written by Bob Shea (our Mock Caldecott winner in 2014 for Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great). 





Here are some reasons why the kids chose it:

  • It is really funny and silly
  • Because he screams
  • He doesn't realize that everywhere he goes is water
  • Because he always says WHO WET MY PANTS!!!!!!!
  • It was really funny to me and I like funny books
  • I loved when he was so mad
  • Because I'm a Brownie like Scouts, and this is like Scouts
  • He was blaming all of his friends, but at the end he was like, "If you guys did it, I would forgive you."



Full voting results:


Forms response chart. Question title: Which of these four books was your favorite?. Number of responses: 78 responses.


1 comment:

  1. I liked the book I also like what other kids though about the book too!

    ReplyDelete