Saturday, August 13, 2016

Are You Smarter than a Sixth Grader?

Back when PARCC was coming up, I wanted my students to flex their brains in preparation. I gave them a set of 6 brainteasers, courtesy of TheTeachersCorner.net; the first person (or group of 2 or 3) to get them all right won a prize. I loved that even after the prizes were given out, lots of kids kept plugging away, determined to figure out the answers. Can you answer the following questions?

1. You are a cyclist in a cross­country race. Just before the crossing finish line, you overtake the person in second place! What place did you finish in?



2. In a year there are 12 months. 7 months have 31 days. How many months have 28 days?


3. I do not have any special powers, but I can predict the score of any football game before it begins. How can I do this?


4. Jimmy's mother had 4 children. She named the first Monday and the second Tuesday. The third is named Wednesday. What is the name of the fourth child?

5. You are driving a bus. At the first stop, 2 women get on. The second stop, 3 men get on and 1 woman gets off. Third stop, 3 kids and their mom get on, and a man gets off. The bus is grey, and it is raining outside. What color is the bus driver’s hair?


6. Which is heavier? A pound of feathers, or a pound of rocks?

No comments:

Post a Comment