Sunday, January 20, 2013

In So Many Words ... Paraphrasing Practice

The sixth graders are learning about how to avoid plagiarism. After we discussed the skill of paraphrasing (and the need for a good vocabulary ... or at least a thesaurus!), the students wrote original sentences and then paraphrased each other. Here is some of their work:

Original: I like to mow the lawn.
Paraphrase: I adore cutting the grass.

Original: The disruptive pupil was dismissed from the laboratory. The child then jogged to the principal's large, messy room.
Paraphrase: The annoying classmate was asked to leave the science room and then ran down to the principal's big, unclean office.


Original: I love my hand!
Paraphrase: I am fond of the body part attached to my arm.

Original: My unicorn poops rainbows and throws up sparkles.
Paraphrase: The purdy pony poops colors and vomits glitter.


Original: I want to go to the party. It's supposed to be fun.
Paraphrase 1: I am tempted to go to a social get-together, which is gonna be sensational.
Paraphrase 2: I would love to go to the awesome party.

Original: My professor gave us no homework.
Paraphrase: We had no homework today because our teacher said we didn't have any.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment