Monday, December 10, 2012

Name that Category - Grade 4 Dewey

I don't expect my students to memorize the Dewey Decimal system - that's what the online catalog is for! I do, however, want them to get practice with categorization and classification - skills that are needed in the workplace. For example, in my prior life as a "mutual fund operations communications analyst," I developed filing systems and web site architectures. Being able to see how pieces fit together is important.

Last week, I set fourth graders loose in the 500s, 700s, and 900s, the sections with the most books and the most nonfiction circulations. Their assignment: by looking at the topics included in each section, figure out how they are related and name the overall category. For example, can you tell how the following topics go together?

Crafts    Sports    Magic    Riddles    Ballet   Costumes    Drawing    Music   

I'm happy to report that both Garden City fourth grade classes completed their assignment with time to spare. Here they are in action.







No comments:

Post a Comment